Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Lost Word Found

Its midnight and I just returned from my visit to Kodiak Lodge No. 9. I was expecting to return early this afternoon, but was delayed at the airport as several flights were canceled due to poor weather. Kodiak is a beautiful Island in the middle of the Gulf of Alaska and is regularly buffeted by storms that race across the North Pacific.

Other than the weather delay, my trip to Kodiak was very pleasant. I was accompanied by RW Johnnie L. Wallace (Deputy Grand Master) and RW Jerry Pinion (Junior Grand Warden). We had a wonderful Yankee Pot Roast dinner and presided over a very enjoyable Friendship Night presentation arranged by MW Jared Decker. I extend my special thanks to Jared and Suni Decker for a great evening.

Although we were stuck at the Kodiak airport most of the day, I did find one positive aspect about the experience. I was able to spend the day reading Dan Brown’s latest adventure, “The Lost Symbol”. For the last couple of years, I have been concerned about how this book might depict the Masonic fraternity and was anxious to read it. I picked it up at the train station in Norwich before I left England, primarily to get a book with the English cover. I have been avoiding blogs, pod casts, and other media reviews of the book until I had an opportunity to digest it and make my own conclusions about it. Overall, I have a positive impression about Mr. Brown’s latest offering. The book features Robert Langon (“Angles & Demons” and “The Da Vinci Code”), a Harvard symbologist, who must discover the secret of the lost Masonic word in order to save a friend from a horrible fate. “The Lost Symbol” paints Freemasonry in a very positive and favorable light. The fact that it introduces the craft of Freemasonry to millions of non-Masons creates a challenge for most Masons who will be required to respond to many questions about Masonry. Regrettably, many of these Masons may not be acquainted with the spiritual and philosophical themes presented in the book, themes which make Masonry more than just a social club but a sacred band of friends and brothers. My earnest hope is that “The Lost Symbol” will be a wake-up call to all Masons across the country to begin their own search for the lost symbol.

2 comments:

  1. having read the new Dan Brown novel while relaxing the hours away on the lovely island of Koh samui,it gave i believe a good impression of the masonic order but i consider also that it will stir great interest and questions in the public to which masons may have to answer.I hope that with research of tradition and history we can all be better informed and understood.PG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brother I am sorry about the anonymous deal. My name is Mark and I am a young Mason in a regular Georgia lodge. Bacon Lodge #56 and would I think your right about book sparking interest in to the craft.

    ReplyDelete